Sunday, January 21, 2007

Love never ends...

I just wrote the something similar to the following in an email to a friend, but I thought maybe I'd share it here, too, since it's been increasingly on my mind the last few weeks...

It's becoming more and more clear to me how it is the love of Jesus that is at the centre of it all - everything he did on earth, and everything he now does from glory, in us and through us.

I don't know too much about the theology of all this, but what I do know is that the way to follow our Lord, to do the things he did, is the way of love. 'This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you... I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another.' (John 15.12, 16-17)

I think Francis understood this perhaps better than anyone, when he wrote:

Lord, make us to walk in Your Way...

Where there is love and wisdom, there is neither fear nor ignorance;
where there is patience and humility, there is neither anger nor annoyance;

where there is poverty and joy, there is neither greed nor avarice;
where there is peace and contemplation, there is neither care nor restlessness;

where there is the fear of God to guard the dwelling, there no enemy can enter;
where there is mercy and prudence, there is neither excess nor harshness.


This we know through Your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen .

No comments: