Thursday, April 24, 2008

She whom all generations call Blessed

Risk all for love, Jesus tells us, even your own life. Give that to me and let me save it. The healthy religious person is the one who allows God to save.

If this is the ideal Christian attitude toward God, then Mary is the ideal Christian of the Gospels. She sums up in herself the attitude of the poor one whom God is able to save. She is deeply aware of her own emptiness without God (Luke 1:52), for the fulfillment of God's promise (1:54); for God's work (1:45,49), and a full personal surrender: "Let it be!" (1:38).

Richard Rohr, from The Great Themes of Scripture

I often wonder why, in the face of facts like this about Mary's character, some of my fellow Anglicans, not to mention others from (especially) evangelical backgrounds, get all panicky when they hear people referring to "our Lady", or "the Blessed Virgin". How have they read Luke 1 for these things not to be blindingly obvious?

And Mary said,
"My soul magnifies the Lord,
and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour,
for he has looked with favour on the lowliness of his servant.
Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
for the Mighty One has done great things for me,
and holy is his name.
His mercy is for those who fear him
from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm;
he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
He has brought down the powerful from their thrones,
and lifted up the lowly;
he has filled the hungry with good things,
and sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel,
in remembrance of his mercy,
according to the promise he made to our ancestors,
to Abraham and to his descendants for ever."

(Luke 1.46-55)

3 comments:

Jan said...

A good book about Mary by Episcopal priest Penelope Duckworth is "Mary: The Imagination of Her Heart." The book study that I facilitate at our parish is currently reading it. Duckworth's scholarship is impressive.

St Edwards Blog said...

So beautifully put Mike!

The mystery of Mary, our mother. As a Catholic, she is important to me and was instrumental in my return to the church after an 18 year absence. (And I have now been back 18 years!)

I will be interested in looking for the book Jan mentions.

I did a Rohr related piece today myself! He is a great source of wisdom and inpsiration.

Pax my brother!

liturgy said...

Thanks for this blog
which I just fell over
I think you would enjoy mine:
"Liturgy"
www.liturgy.co.nz
If you place a link let me know so I link back.

Blessings