Thursday, April 17, 2008

Be Still? You’re Kidding, Right?

Wonderful post from John at Jesus the Radical Pastor - needs no commentary from me!

Be still, and know that I am God.
Be still, and know that I AM.
Be still, and know.
Be still.
Be.

I was first led in this prayer by Franciscan scholar Richard Rohr at The Ooze in Seattle.

Be.

How shall we “be still” in a culture where stillness is considered laziness?

How shall we “be” in a culture where silence is a sign of uncomfortable weakness?

How shall we “be” in a culture where “the eyes of faith” are considered blindness?

How shall we “be” in a culture where singleness of purpose is considered ineptness in a multi-tasking world?

How shall we “be” in a culture where simplicity is considered lack of initiative amidst consumer-driven frenzy?

How shall we “be” in a culture where homo sapiens has evolved to homo narcissus?

How shall we “be still” in a culture that interprets “be still” as “be run over”?

How shall we “be still” in churches that mimic the culture?

How shall we “know God” when God is just another word on our “priority list”?

3 comments:

John Frye said...

Mike F,
Thanks for the link at MERCY BLOG.
God bless you.
John

St Edwards Blog said...

This is an amazing post. I have so few words but my heart is pondering.

Anonymous said...

Catching up on your blog, I find myself thinking, why write, Mike says it all! But I guess we each have our own unique thing to say and way to say it (um, didn't I just write a post about this?).