Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Experiencing our experiences...

Inner authority seems to come from "experiencing our experiences," and experiencing them deeply as our own.

When we meet people who know that they know, and know that they know so much more than they can understand, and finally have the trust and patience to remain in that knowledge, then we will have people who can truly represent the authority of God. In their presence we will grow strong.

Richard Rohr, from Near Occasions of Grace

I think perhaps this may have something to do with Maggie Ross's sense of refusing to anaesthetise the pain of our connectedness with creation. "Experiencing our experiences" is very much a part of this way of defenceless living.

It is so vital, at least for those of us who have been called to this contemplative path, to remain open to all that God brings to us, trusting that if we have surrendered to him then he will take care of us, and we do not need to live in fear of the consequences of our openness. We do not then need to live with barriers of self-preservation, religion, legalism: for if we hold to Jesus' teaching, we will know the truth, and the truth will set us free (John 8.31-32 NIV).

This is all the authority we need on the largely hidden path we have been called to travel. What God does with that authority is up to him; if we will only trust him in this, then we can trust - despite all our innate self-doubt - that we will be able to be a blessing, and not a hindrance, to those he leads across our way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a timely post. I have been thinking about this very topic lately---about refusing to anesthetise and trusting God even in the pain. I have to keep letting go and trusting more.

Thank you.

St Edwards Blog said...

This is also a topic that I have been praying with of late - as you know I read Rohr daily as well.

Trusting and the inner authority question have always been difficult paths for me to trod, but I am ever called back to this pilgrimage.

Lately the words "lean into the discomfort" keep coming up in my prayers and that is what I shall pray to surrender too.

Easier said than done, but knowing that I am blessed with such community - both in person and online, I am grateful, hopeful and maybe even willing.

Thank you.

Jan said...

I have tears in my eyes as I read this. Truth. Am trying.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

We do not then need to live with barriers of self-preservation, religion, legalism: for if we hold to Jesus' teaching, we will know the truth, and the truth will set us free.

This is what spoke to me. My whole lifelong journey seems to consist of this in good measure, of being drawn to an inner authority rather than an external one. But not MY authority, for I have none. Instead, learning to listen to God's authority speaking within and to me. It's a hard path, not least because so many Christians don't understand it and see it as simply arrogance or defiance.

One way I describe it is a refusal to accept a vicarious institutional conscience.

Thank you again for your posts.