Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Night Prayer

Episcopollyanna posted this wonderful prayer of St. Teresa of Avila:


Let nothing, O Lord, disturb the silence of this night.
Let nothing make me afraid.
Here in the dark, remind me that in order to speak to you,
My eternal Father, and to take delight in you,
I have no need to go to heaven or to speak in a loud voice.
However quietly I speak, you are so near that you will hear me.
I need no wings to go in search of you, but have only to understand
That the quiet of this night is a place where I can be alone with you,
And look upon your presence with me.
For if I have you, God,
I will want for nothing.
You alone suffice.


I have been finding this increasingly true recently - I've been waking up after strange, troubling dreams and turning to prayer in the darkness. God is there, almost more palpably than at any other time. His presence, his tanglible mercy, are all I could ever need.


Turn to me and be gracious to me,
   for I am lonely and afflicted.
Relieve the troubles of my heart,
   and bring me out of my distress.
Consider my affliction and my trouble,
   and forgive all my sins.


Psalm 25.16-18


He does all that, and far more besides.

2 comments:

Kelly Joyce Neff said...

vocatus et non vocatus, Deus atque - Desiderus Erasmus =) Thanks MIke!

Mike Farley said...

On Jung's tomb,Flutern Cemetery, Fluntern, Zurich, Switzerland, "Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit..."

Thanks Kelly - he is truly there always!