Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Snow and health and things...

Stuck indoors with a bad chest I discovered this excellent article by Nick Baines, the Bishop of Croydon. His article (you really should read the whole thing - one of the best and most constructive criticisms of media negativity you're likely to read) finishes with this wonderful paragraph and a bit:

I haven't yet seen the news reports of nurses and doctors who struggled into their nearest hospitals. Or ordinary people instinctively helping their elderly neighbours, checking on their well-being and doing their shopping. Or the people who struggled to get to work so that the trains and buses might be able to run later and the roads be gritted. Or the fact that millions of people resigned themselves to being stuck and spent the day playing (with their kids?) instead of believing that the Stock Market is all that matters in life. All they get is a kicking.

And we wonder why the children think the world is rubbish and it might not be worth putting yourself out.

5 comments:

Jane R said...

Stay indoors, dear Mike, and drink hot liquids. The nasty weather out there will not be kind to your chest, so please make sure you avoid the cold and get some rest. We send our warmest good wishes for recovery and healing. +Maya Pavlova says "Don't forget to take many naps!"

Jan said...

Interesting article--thanks.

Get well! Follow Jane R's advice!

Mike Farley said...

Dear Jane, thanks! You're absolutely right, and so is +Maya Pavlova, more than she can tell. Well, being a cat, she probably can tell...

It's recurrent, this chest, a legacy (COPD) from farming, and too much exposure to dust and mould spores over the years... I just have to be kind, as you say, to myself when it gets bad, which it does tend to do this weather.

The cats, +Maya Pavlova will be glad to hear, have been very good to me, and have done their best to ensure I do take regular naps...

Fran said...

Be well Mike, I too have been sick. (it is me Fran here from a different google account.) I have been sick too and followed Jane's advice and am on the mend now!

That article was great - wow, much to ponder there.

Mike Farley said...

It's that time of year, Fran. You take care too!

Thanks to you, Jan and Jane and your prayers I actually got to church this morning. I had a lift there, but I walked home. Wobbly, but I got there.

Now, shall I be well enough for tomorrow's worship conference in Salisbury??? Come to that, will it still be on, or cancelled due to further blizzards overnight?