Sunday, January 04, 2009

On not babbling on…

Following on from yesterday's post, and Gabrielle's perceptive comment, I just found this:

If we allow ourselves to stay at the lower level of consciousness; either/or, all or nothing thinking, we haven't been taught how to pray. The reason some of us almost hesitate to use the word prayer is because it has become this practical, functional, making announcements to God. It is the very thing that Jesus told us not to do. "Why do you babble on like the pagans do?" [Matthew 6.7] God already knows.

Prayer, which was a code word in the New Testament for this different consciousness, became pretty much a practical problem solving thing. It was not a new mind and a new heart with which you looked out at reality.

(Richard Rohr, from the CD A New Way of Seeing/ A New Way of Being; Jesus and Paul)

The only point I'd take issue with here is one of language: I don't like using phrases like "lower levels of consciousness" myself, if I can avoid them. It's too easy to tempt the Gnostic in all of us! I much prefer Jesus' remark, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children." (Luke 10.21 NIV)

2 comments:

St Edwards Blog said...

I never fail to be fed richly when I come here.

Mike thank you for these posts- and Gabrielle for her comment as well.

Much to ponder in my heart with these words.

(and I love what you say about tempting the Gnostic...)

Pax my brother, pax et bonum to you always.

Jane R said...

So where are the cats> ;-) (No pressure now, Mike...)

The word verification thingie says "theless" -- the less? I must decrease so he must increase?