Saturday, March 15, 2008

Let's face it...

"Not everything we face can be changed, but nothing can be changed unless we face it." (James Baldwin)

I think this is one of the best expressions of the sense I have of being "skinless", deprived of defences, in prayer. Only when we are completely unprotected from the affect of things can we truly pray. At least, it's this way for me. In the facing of things, there is the possibility of change inherent in the act itself. If that facing of things is done in the name of Jesus, for the sake of his mercy, with a completely open heart, then that is all prayer needs in order to move mountains.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this. Yes, I see that openness is crucial. (I have so far to go---oh, but I'm not supposed to say that, am I?!)

Thank you for being a perceptive and truth-full voice. I appreciate that very much as I attempt to learn to walk this contemplative journey.