Saturday, January 19, 2008

"Where prayer has been valid..."

Last night I watched the final part of the BBC2 mini-series 'Extreme Pilgrim', where Peter Owen-Jones visits the Monastery of St. Anthony, in the Egyptian Desert, and spends three weeks alone in a mountain cave, under the watchful eye of Father Lazarus, who lives as a hermit on the mountain above the monastery.

Peter, an Anglican priest, says in the introduction to the programme that he feels sometimes as if, as a Church of England vicar, he is more a civil servant than a servant of Christ. Part of the reason for his pilgrimage is to discover if he truly can serve his parish as a servant of Christ, or if his role is compromised beyond recall.

It is fascinating enough to watch Father Peter as he grapples with these matters, and with the intense isolation of his borrowed cave cell, and comes in the end face to face with the living God. The programme was very well-made, and the usual pretence of soliloquy before an all-too-obviously present cameraman was replaced by Peter's being given a video camera to record his thoughts, sometimes with lip-biting honesty.

The person who caught my attention, though, was Father Lazarus, a man of great humour and erudition, and a gentle but immense spiritual presence. What he must have been like to meet in person I can only imagine - on TV he was unforgettable! He spoke at some length to Peter about what he would have to face, alone on the mountain, and how the enemy would try everything to drive him away, or failing that, to render him incapable of prayer and self-recollection. It was on prayer that Father Lazarus spoke most tellingly. He explained to Peter that, when one prays "beyond lists and intentions," repeating the Jesus Prayer, or the Kyrie, alone in the silence, one is praying as a representative of the whole human race; coming into the very presence of God with, in a sense, all of humanity hard-coded into the very cells of one's being. Our prayer then is for Christ's mercy on all of humanity, all of creation really; we are literally interceding, standing between God and all that he has made, out there on the bare mountain.

I have rarely if ever been so moved by a television programme. It was wonderful to watch Peter come from fear, through doubt and torment, into joy and peace, to see the deep affection between him and Lazarus, even though they had not spoken since that initial interview, and to witness his glad acceptance of all that God had called him into, leaving for home sure now of his vocation to his own parish. It was, for me, perhaps almost more wonderful to know that all I have felt so deeply about prayer for so many years is being lived out, had, as I suspected, been being lived out in exactly that form since St. Anthony's time, at the very beginnings of monasticism itself, by the Desert Fathers and Mothers and their successors. Father Lazarus' words resonated with all that I feel most deeply, and his advice to Peter I heard somehow as if it were addressed to me, in the little desert of my own rule. I don't know that I shall ever see it in the same way again.

14 comments:

Kelly Joyce Neff said...

w--o--w..... is all I can say. 'We stand aas representative of the whole human race'. That moved me to tears. Thank you, Mike!

Paul said...

I was going to type "just wow!" but kelly joyce neff beat me to it. Thanks for sharing this Mike. We need frequent reminders of what we sort of learned long ago until we can grow into it.

Lindy said...

Where have I been? I'm sorry Mike. I bookmarked a single post instead of your actual blog. I am looking forward to catching up.
Lindy

Mike Farley said...

Hi Lindy - good to hear from you again! Have you tried Google Reader? I'd be lost in the blogosphere without a compass were it not for Reader!

Give Rowan a big hug from me - and thank him for the car-watching pics. He's a good-looking fellow in his blue waterproof outfit...

Jane R said...

Mike, this sounds wonderful. I wonder if this program will be available on this side of the Atlantic. Anybody know? I haven't had time to do a search. Thank you for posting this, Mike. Deep thanks.

Mike Farley said...

I had a good look around with Google - no mention of US dates yet, Jane, but Extreme Pilgrim's international rights have been picked up by RDF Rights - more here.

Hope it does come on over your side of the Atlantic - I only saw the last part, but by all accounts that was the one where things got really interesting, anyway...

Jan said...

I like the validation that praying the Jesus Prayer is in union with the entire human race. Really, that's what prayer is.

Have you ever read "Into the Silent Land" by Martin Laird? He speaks knowledgeably of reaching a point in contemplation where one is in union with God and ALL.

Anonymous said...

If you missed the programme dont forget to go to www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer. You have seven days to select the replay on your own computer. It aired on Friday in the UK.
God bless.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post. I wish I could have watched the progam. I did go to the BBC site and search for Extreme Pilgrim, but it didn't come up.

What a wonderful experience. It reinforces my feeling that all this time in solitude, the meditation, etc, really is worthwhile.

I may do a ten day retreat at St. Benedict's at Snowmass (where Thomas Keating is) later this year. It wouldn't be quite what Owen-Jones experienced, but I think it might be intense.

Unknown said...

hello friend,

It seems that Father Lazarus has deeply touched many hearts and minds of many pilgrims. It was because of him that i came upon your site and what a lovely field of unity it is. Look forward to spending more time here, now and in the future.

Mike Farley said...

Thank you for stopping by, Adele... Yes, Fr. Lazarus spoke to many of us through that short programme. He did "all things well" when he agreed to take part, I think.

Anonymous said...

I recently saw Father Lazarus on the Globetrekker TV series, while they were touring Egypt. He was only briefly shown but he was very moving and unforgettable.

I wish we could learn more about him and hear him more, but as a hermit I suppose that is unlikely.

I've not seen the program you reference here in the U.S., unfortunately.

Tom

Anonymous said...

HERE IS A PERMANENT LINK to the BBC production of Extreme Pilgrim:http://orthodoxfathers.org/?cat=86

Mike Farley said...

Thank you, Fr. Joseph!