Thursday, January 17, 2008

On not knowing much at all...

As long as we think that we alone have to save the world, we become arrogant in our methods, impatient in our attitudes and quick in our solutions. We instead must seek the patience and peace of God. The man and woman of God are content simply to lay down their lives for some little bit of unity. Wherever you are, let God create unity. I believe that's what God's doing on earth. I know one sister who sees her primary call as bestowing "benevolent smiles" on everybody she meets. What a threat she must be to disunity!

If Jesus is to be risen among us, we must each individually and in groups together surrender to a love and mystery that is greater than our hearts. We must humbly admit that we really don't know much at all. We have few right answers, it seems to me, and even fewer conclusions. All we can be is what Jesus was: present and enfleshed. In the end it seems to me there's only one gospel: Jesus incarnate, Jesus crucified, Jesus resurrected. Solidarity in suffering and in ecstasy is God's gift to the world.

To be in the Church is to be willing to be part of the rhythm and create little bits of unity wherever we can.

Richard Rohr, from The Spiritual Family and the Natural Family

A correspondent challenged me recently that she didn't find enough of (presumably my own personal encounter with) Jesus in my blog. What she wrote made me think. Now I know that I am a terrible one for books, and for their electronic equivalent, and much of my blog is taken up with quotes and snippets and links from and to other people's work. Of course in one sense that's what this blog was always supposed to be: "An online diary, notepad and general scrapbook," as it says in the blog header.

Sometimes I look at the raw honesty of some other bloggers, and think, why aren't I like that? Well, I can only be me, perhaps; and anyway the things I quote from other people I (usually!) quote because they've moved me, because I've seen Christ through the words of someone else, or encountered his hand print in what they write of their own life.

I will think and pray about this, though. I am aware of the danger of a blog's turning into nothing more than some kind of a palimpsest, or a noticeboard with torn pages pinned up. Perhaps there should be more of Jesus in these posts; and yet, being only human, and a fallen human at that, I can only show him - if at all - reflected in my own eyes. And I am at least as aware of the danger of a blog's turning into gallery of self-portraits, a running autobiography of the most self-regarding kind. And even if I am trying to look away from myself, and to look always towards our Lord, there is always the risk of an autobiography turning into an auto-hagiography; and there lies the deepest pitfall of the lot, spiritual pride.

I love to look at, and wonder at, what the Lord has done and is doing in the dear lives of my own sisters and brothers, whether those who are sitting at their PCs or their Macs this very evening, or those whose bones were left in the dust of the Egyptian Desert 1,700 years ago. I find them far more interesting than myself, and I don't think I shall be able to resist showing you Jesus through their words altogether. But I shall listen to my correspondent, who knows rather more than a bit about this life of faith we are all trying to live, and I shall try to share a little more about what happens to me as I try to live, as Father Richard says in the quote above, present to the suffering and ecstasy of the world I find myself in.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike...I must have expressed myself poorly indeed; so sorry. Many do as you do; instead of reading and using the words of Jesus, you use the words of another man. Do you see what I mean? Again you do it here; instead of seeking what Jesus says about unity etc, and oh! HE does, Mike.... you use another man who is not Jesus. That is the crux. Whatever we need, Jesus has said it, He Who is God. Why seek second hand? Why not go to the Spring, the Fount, rather than drink from downstream? One Lord, one Life, One Way.. Whatever is in my own blog, it is based on Holy scripture and frequently uses the words of Jesus; that is all we have and all we need. Read His words until they are written in your heart and soul. Let no other man in there. Let us speak of Jesus only.. most of your quotes are not Jesus or even remotley akin to what He says.Blessings

Mike Farley said...

No, it's me, I think. I do see now what you mean... Thank you for the clarification!

Jan said...

Mike, I always like your choices in quotes. I probably tend to quote "too much" on my blog, too. Maybe that's why I like yours! Thanks.

Ann Murray said...

I think 'a nun in ireland 'is somehow missing a very valid point.

The Holy Spirit who dwells in us does on occasion speak very clearly through us.

We are His instruments and as members of the Church we look to the Our Holy Father as Christ's Vicar, God's representative on earth.

If we were to take the Sister of Grace at her word, we would quote neither Saint nor Pope.

Holy Scripture is inimitable and is a true source and fountain of knowledge and grace but I do not believe for a minute that the Holy Trinity would wish to put a gagging order on any of us who are driven to express our love of Jesus, the Church, creation or our fellow mankind by blogging, painting, writing, singing, prayer and contemplation.

With all due respect, Mike, I say blog on, and may you continue to inspire others your way, through your words, as ' a nun in Ireland does her way.

The universal church has room for all of us.

Mike Farley said...

Thank you, Veritas!

Very good to meet you, by the way - I shall look forward to getting to know you blog better...

Mike

Kelly Joyce Neff said...

to Veritas, Amen! You said it perfectly. You go, MIke. You are bringing a wonderful rich spiritual world to us. Please be who you are.

Lindy said...

I hope that a nun in Ireland will continue quoting Jesus on her own blog but... Jeez Louise! I have never heard of telling other people what they should do on their blogs. How controlling can you get!

Look, Mike, you have a great blog here. I know that I am most often going to get a quote from something you've read or heard. All I have to say about that is thank you. Thank you for reading more than I have time for, thank you for reading the books that aren't on my own list, thank you for choosing so carefully what to share with us on your blog. Thank you. You are wise enough to know that you don't have to reinvent every spiritual wheel out there. There are others who have gone before us, lots of others. And I think they have something to say. You are a blessing in cyber-space.

Jesus was a swell fellow, no doubt about that. But, others are able to help us through the centuries and across the cultural divides to discover his heart and teachings. You know that and share it beautifully.

Your blog friend,

lindy

Anonymous said...

Mike. I'll echo Veritas and co. Keep on blogging just the way you do now. Remember Francis: 'God has given me what was mine to do. May he give you what is yours to do.' As you'll know from my own blog,the timing and nature of your reflections have really spoken to me this last week or so, and in turn I've had the opportunity to pass them on to others offline also. God moves in mysterious ways indeed, and who knows who and where your words may end up!

I read an opinion column in a recent copy of Third Way magazine querying the value of blogging in general and would love to point them this way.

Mike Farley said...

Lindy, Kelly, feelinggreen - and Veritas - thank you for your appreciation, truly! I am really touched by your comments, my good friends...

I shall keep on keeping on - your quote, feelinggreen, from St. Francis, says it all!

Thank you all again...

Mike

Mike Farley said...

Folks, thank you all for your comments. There was one final, anonymous one which could have been hurtful to some who've commented here, and which I've removed.

They do say you're not really a blogger till you've been involved in a comments row, but I've no stomach to host one. We must agree, in Christ, that there are different ways of understanding our roles within the Church, and of the value of tradition and scholarship and spiritual writing in general.

I know sometimes inflammatory writing can be seen as prophetic in certain contexts, but I don't think that that is what constitutes prophecy in the new covenant. St. Paul referred, in 1 Corinthians 14, to those who prophesy building up the Church. I don't see flame wars as building up anything or anyone, and so I shall close the comments on this post.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions, whether in stimulating critical thinking, or in warm encouragement and fellowship.

May the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, guard our hearts and our minds in Christ Jesus...