Saturday, July 28, 2007

I've been thinking...

I've been thinking about what this blog's for, and why I'm keeping it. (Is that what you do with a blog, keep it, like a diary? Or do you blog it? Blogging a blog? H'mm...) I really enjoy reading other people's chatty blogs, with all the details of their holidays, what they're wearing, their neighbours, and their pets - and I'm not saying I'll never write about such things here - but somehow it doesn't feel like the reason I started this.

There are also some very churchy blogs around, full of nothing but learned disquisitions on ecclesiology, past, present and future, and abstruse issues in philosophical theology, and I have to confess I keep most of those in my feed reader for a week or two, and then unsubscribe again once I've built up a couple of dozen unread posts. So, if I'm to do to others what I'd like to be done to me, it's not very fair of me to try and keep one of those going, even supposing I had the academic equipment to manage it...

When I came back from retreat I said, "Maybe later I'll try and say something about the spiritual side of this, but at the moment it still feels very private." But that is why I started this blog, to try and keep track of my own thoughts on prayer, and things related to prayer, and to share them in case there might be resonances for anyone else.

I was writing recently to a friend, trying to tell her a bit about my retreat, and all that had happened in those few short days, when it occurred to me that that was what I should be doing here. That was the reason I had first begun. So...

No comments: