Thursday, March 19, 2009

At peace with time...

Fundamentally the Christian is at peace with time because Christians are at peace with God. We need no longer be fearful and distrustful of time, because we understand that time is not being used by a hostile "fate" to determine our lives in some sense which we ourselves can never know, and for which we cannot adequately be prepared. Time has now come to terms with Man's freedom.

Thomas Merton. Seasons of Celebration, p. 47.

For some reason I love thinking about time. I don't do it as much as I used to, but it's cleansing in some odd way, and healing, to think of who and what and when one is against the great field of time, the web on which God weaves all things.

4 comments:

Veritas said...

Fantastic quote. I may make that a meditation piece for a few days. Pretty deep.

Sue said...

I think about time a lot too!

I'm not all that excited about biblical word searches enough to do them often, but the one I did on "ages" several years ago unravelled these great reams of possibility for me.

I'm really wanting to do the same thing with time, but in a scientific sense. I want to go on a magical mystical tour of what time is and how it misbehaves when we're not looking :)

Jane R said...

Sue, when you find out, let me know! :-)

The word verification thingie is "undsonse," which sounds like Old English for something, but I'm not sure what.

Sue said...

LOL Jane.

Hopefully I'll contact you from some parallel universe to let you know :)