Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Watchwords...

Guard against all pride, vanity, envy, avarice, the cares and worry of this world, detraction and complaining. And if you do not have book-learning, do not be eager to acquire it, but pursue instead what you should desire above all else, namely, to have the Spirit of the Lord and his grace working in you, to pray always with purity of heart and to have humility, patience in persecution and in infirmity, and to love those who persecute and rebuke and slander you, because the Lord says, "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" (Matthew 5:44). "Blessed are those who are persecuted in the cause of uprightness: the kingdom of Heaven is theirs" (Matthew 5:10). "Anyone who stands firm to the end will be saved" (Matthew 10:22).

Saint Francis of Assisi
Rule of 1223
Ch. X

How much I need to hear these words, every day! When I look back at these ancient documents of our three Orders, I am sometimes just totally amazed at St. Francis' wisdom and grace, and the love he had for his Brothers, and for St. Clare and the rest of his Sisters in the Second Order. What a man! What else could I want to be than a Franciscan? Why did I ever think anything else?

H'm. Makes me go all silly, sometimes, thinking about it.

1 comment:

St Edwards Blog said...

Oh we all need these words every day!

And I am pretty happy to have your words every day too, grateful really.

I've not been around for a few days and feel refreshed for my visit here, thanks be to God!