Saturday, June 21, 2008

Firefox 3





In case you've been living in a museum of 19th century technology, and are several steps left of steampunk, Firefox 3 is out.

Having used it for several days now, and knocked it around a little, I can confirm that it is in fact the cat's pyjamas. I shan't go into details here - just download it and play with it. You'll soon see why I'm so pleased with the thing.

Most extensions are updated by now, or will be very shortly. Only one of my favourite extensions, UnPlug, is missing now. There are less themes updated, but they are gradually catching up. Some new ones, too... I particularly like Sky - cool and blue, and it retains the attractive "keyhole" design for the main navigation buttons.

Have fun!

4 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Thanks for the bulletin. I just updated my older version.

Jan said...

I updated it, but don't know if I'm using it as I haven't noticed anything different. What have you observed?

Mike Farley said...

Loads, Jan!

New bookmarking system - click the little star to the right of the address bar once to mark quickly, twice to save bookmark in folder. On the left of the bookmarks toolbar are a couple of "smart" folders to explore...

Try typing some keywords into the address bar - you'll find it searches your bookmarks and history for URLs that match your words.

There are several significant security improvements, but hopefully you'll not need to see those in action ;-)

Read the new features page for a full list of the new stuff.

Sorry to be geeky, but I've just fallen in love with Firefox all over again with this version!

Mike

Mike Farley said...

Oh, and it has full-page zoom, and it's approximately four times as fast as version 2.0 - how could I forget to mention?