Thursday, April 02, 2020

Helplessness or Prayer?

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words. And God, who searches the heart, knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.

Romans 8.26-27 NRSV

It is easy, especially at a time like this, with even the most ordinary facets of life interrupted and suspended by the COVID-19 pandemic and our precautions against it, to feel we have no idea how to pray, that we are helpless, and unsure if prayer is even a thing to do. So many of us are helpless in practical terms, or at least feel the little we can manage to do or donate is insignificantly small.

But here we are, and each of us can pray, after our calling. It truly doesn't matter whether we can find the right words, or any words, so long as our hearts are with our neighbours, in the broadest sense of that word (Luke 10.25ff), and our loving attention is with God. It is all we can do. It may well be the very best we can do. Our grief, our very helplessness, are the things that God's mercy in Christ can use (Matthew 5.1-12).

"All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well." ― Julian of Norwich, writing in the time of the Black Death.

6 comments:

Thomas D said...

Mike, hello!

Just a note to acknowledge the post, as it were, to say that I've read it, and benefited from it! I don't really have much to add --- except to say, yes, the beads haven't been far from me since this period of claustration started.

Oh, yes, and while I miss gathering with others, I have to trust that there's some sublime way we are in fact "gathered." I hold some intuitive, inarticulable belief in the Mystical Body, as it has been called, of one part fortifying the others through prayer.

Peace, light, health to you and yours.

Mike Farley said...

"I hold some intuitive, inarticulable belief in the Mystical Body, as it has been called, of one part fortifying the others through prayer." Amen - me too!

Thanks for this, Thomas. Yes, Susan and I both miss fellowship with others, and the whole sacramental side of worship. But we have each other, and books (thank the Lord for Kindle!) and our little cat appreciates the amount of time we're spending being quiet and still!

Take care - holding you and all you love in the Light

Mike

The Rev. Susan Creighton said...

Good morning, Mike...well, at least it's morning in Washington State! I want to send my deep gratitude for you and your blog. You are giving me rich food for my own contemplative prayer--and have been ever since we 'connected' (so-to-say) through Pen Wilcock's blog. I'm the long-ago rancher (purebred Hereford's) who became an Episcopal priest, and 16 years ago took vows as an Anchorite. I'm also glad to hear you have a Kindle, and (if I knew your email address), I'd like to give you a copy of my book, "DeepLight: A Memoir of the Soul". I was able to send one via Amazon to Pen, and I think you might find it of interest. Do let me know if you would like to try this. My blog email is anchorite@holydwelling.com. Blessings and prayers--stay well! Susan Creighton+

Mike Farley said...

Good evening, Susan - it's a beautiful, golden spring evening here. We're very fortunate here, to be able to go out once a day (keeping >2m from others!) for a walk around this beautiful old town, along the remains of the Roman walls, and down by the river that Thomas Hardy wrote of so much. What a strange spring it is too - Palm Sunday tomorrow, and no palms except the ones in our hearts, and last year's palm cross, that never did get handed in to be burnt...

Thank you so much for your encouraging comments - it means a great deal to hear from someone who knows so well the paths I'm writing of! I bought your luminous book on Kindle at the end of last year, and read it while we were away on the Isle of Wight in February. Thank you so much for the offer of a free copy, but I'm glad to have contributed, however infinitesimally, to your royalties! It's a stunning book, truly, full of so many points of recognition, some glorious, some very painful indeed, and all shot through with that light...

Really, I'm so glad to hear from you. Thank you again for getting in touch! We both send our prayers, and warm thoughts, from here in the West Country.

Unknown said...

Hello Mike, I cannot tell you how much this post has encouraged me in the intercessory activity that you partnered with me and that Don Stenberg has enabled me to continue, even if I receive no replies from him to any of my prayer invitations.....

Unknown said...

Thank you Mike for this blog post, which has encouraged me in the intercessory work that you pioneered with me during the early years of the past decade.....