Thursday, April 18, 2019

Maundy Thursday

No, we declare God's wisdom, a mystery that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. However, as it is written:  
"What no eye has seen,
   what no ear has heard,
and what no human mind has conceived"
    - the things God has prepared for those who love him -  
these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit. 
1 Corinthians 2:7-9
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. 
John 1:1-5
My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one - I in them and you in me - so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. 
John 17:20-23
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. 
John 14:26-27 
Christ is a mystery, far more than the Jesus of the Gospel stories, far more than the Jesus who is so often preached today as friend, companion, saviour. And yet that was the Jesus the disciples knew; and the contemporary preaching of him is quite true, if occasionally limited. Perhaps it is that word "saviour" on which our awareness of the mystery begins to turn. John's Gospel could maybe be thought of as the explication of that mystery, the unpacking of what lies beneath much of the first three (the synoptic) Gospels.

Only in prayer, as I draw close to the presence of Christ within, do I feel I begin to understand. The presence of Christ in anything we know - his earthly form, the Eucharist he left us, our own selves in prayer - is a mystery known only by faith, as the Spirit reveals him to us. As Jesus himself said, (John 14:1) "Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me." Only be still, and know that Christ is Immanuel, God with us...

Gerard Manley Hopkins came very close, when he wrote:
There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs -
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

No comments: