Friday, August 24, 2007

Praying in the dark...

Vicky K Black has taken over my Merton quoting function, by the look of it. She has this wonderful passage, which is so encouraging for those of us who sometimes wonder why some of our prayers seem to disappear somewhere unseen, without even an echo:

Prayer and meditation have an important part to play in opening up new ways and new horizons. If our prayer is the expression of a deep and grace-inspired desire for newness of life - and not the mere blind attachment to what has always been familiar and "safe" - God will act in us and through us to renew the Church by preparing, in prayer, what we cannot yet imagine or understand. In this way our prayer and faith today will be oriented toward the future which we ourselves may never see fully realized on earth.

From Contemplation in a World of Action by Thomas Merton (Doubleday, 1971).

I suppose I'm feeling more than usually vulnerable in this area just now, as we have had some scary news regarding Jan's health. I know perfectly well that her life is in his hands, and that I can trust him with her as I could never even trust myself - but it doesn't help the terrible hollow feeling in the pit of the stomach. Which is why I was so glad to read Vicky's Merton quote!

No comments: