Saturday, May 23, 2009

Standing back…

It’s been a strange week, one way or another. After 20+ years, Jan’s and my marriage has finally come to an end; not my choice, but ultimately inevitable.

This is not the place to go into details, but after all has been said and done, we are the best of friends. Our lives are going to diverge, and neither of us knows quite where they will lead us, though for Jan there is a clear “best outcome”. For myself, I know that the rest of the years left to me must be lived in obedience to God’s call to a life of prayer as a Franciscan. How that will work in practice it is far, far too early to say. I have all manner of praying, and talking, and investigating to do.

Next week I am going to Hilfield Friary for a few days. This is the season of Pentecost, no question about that. There’s an old Vineyard worship song with the chorus: “Stand back, and let you move… Stand back, and see what you will do…” Quite.

8 comments:

  1. Mike, I am sorry for the turmoil, grateful for you for the "best of friends" part, and hopeful that your future path will be one of peace and promise. Prayers for you both as you begin new journeys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for letting us know.

    Gannet Girl said the rest of what I wanted to say far better than I could; my prayers, too, go with you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My deepest sympathies, Mike. Be assured of my prayers as you both grope through this upheaval searching for meaning in it all. I've been there myself and the pain is wrenching. Go with God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Mike, it's still so raw for me and my own breakup that I read your words and could not stop the tears spilling down my cheeks. I am so sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry, Mike. I've been remembering you in prayers since I first read this yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry.

    I went through a painful breakup myself a number of years ago. I will keep you both in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heart goes out to you, Mike, in this time of change, sorrow, and discernment. You will be in my prayers too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear bloggy friends, I've just seen that I didn't even thank you all for your lovely comments when I got back from Hilfield. I am sorry. They were all read, and deeply appreciated, nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete